Wednesday 14 January 2015

Simple Low Salt Whole-Wheat Family Loaf



This whole-wheat loaf was super quick and easy to make. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone who likes to cook from scratch but hasn't always got the time to dedicate the afternoon baking! Not only does it require minimal ingredients, your house is smelling like a bakery!
If you have made bread before or made a simple dough recipe, you will know that the key ingredient is yeast. You can buy fresh, or dried fast active yeast. In my household with a one year running around, I don't have full attention in the kitchen at times so fast active yeast is mainly used. Perfect if you don't like waiting a long time for the proving process!

(Can be done with or without mixer)

Ingredients:
500g whole-wheat flour
300ml water (luke warm)
7g sachet dried fast active yeast
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt - (optional to taste can add more)

To make my loaf (by mixer or by hand) I firstly tipped my flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl making sure everything was mixed together in preparation for the wet ingredients. I then measured 300ml of luke warm water in a Pyrex jug stirring in my honey and olive oil. As I used a mixer I let this do the work otherwise just keep mixing until you have formed a soft dough. At this stage if your dough feels sticky place some flour on your hands to prepare the kneading process. Make sure you have floured your work surface to knead the dough, (good 5-8 minutes) adding a little flour to prevent the dough going sticky.The more you need, the better the yeast activates, the better the bread! That's it! Let the proving commence:

Grab your bread tin, shape the dough to an oval shape and let it rise for an hour. Make sure you cover the dough to prevent the top drying out. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees 5 minutes before you are ready to bake!
Simply let it bake 40-45 minutes and you have a perfect healthy loaf for the family. Rest it on a cooling rack and butter it up! My son loves this, low salt, healthy and tasty!
Enjoy :-)


Mama Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment